Freedom from Condemnation

홈 > 커뮤니티 > Strength For Today Daily Devotional
Strength For Today Daily Devotional

Freedom from Condemnation

기독정보닷컴

“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death” (Romans 8:2).

The moment the Holy Spirit places us in Christ, He also frees us from the power of sin and death.

The third stanza of Charles Wesley’s great hymn “And Can It Be?” describes the composer’s thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit’s saving work in his life:

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night.
Thine eye diffused a quick’ning ray:
I woke—the dungeon flamed with light!
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Romans 8:2 makes it clear that every Christian can and should share Wesley’s exhilaration. The instant we by faith embrace Jesus Christ, the Spirit frees us from spiritual condemnation. Essentially, we become free to start a new life, different from anything we have known.

The Lord Jesus was certain that saving faith would work such a complete transformation (John 5:24). And the apostle Paul leaves no doubt that every person whom the Holy Spirit has sovereignly drawn into the Body of Christ has also been freed from the power of sin and death: “Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 6:8-11).

As you actively apply this freedom you have in Christ (see Col. 3:3-10), you will have the joyous reassurance that the Holy Spirit—“the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus”—will always be there to enable you to defeat sin and obey God.

Suggestions for Prayer

Thank God for His grace that has enabled you to achieve what you could not on your own—victory over spiritual death.

For Further Study

Read Colossians 3:3-17.

• What sins are we to put off?
  • What new traits are we to put on?
  • What resources does the Lord provide for us (vv. 15-16)?

From Strength for Today by John MacArthur Copyright © 1997. Used by permission of Crossway Books, a division of Good News Publishers, Wheaton, IL 60187, www.crossway.com.

Additional Resources

Benefiting from John's daily devotional?
Help others benefit from Grace to You.

0 Comments